Affiliate marketing is promoting other people’s products in return for a small commission for each sale. You’ve probably seen headings marked “affiliate link” or “sponsored post” on many of the websites you visit, or maybe you’ve already taken the first step and signed up to an affiliate network.
Affiliate marketing is simply a system in which an affiliate marketer helps to sell a retailer’s product in return for a commission from the retailer.
Affiliate marketing is an online sales tactic that lets a product owner increase sales by allowing others targeting the same audience—“affiliates”—to earn a commission by recommending the product to others. At the same time, it makes it possible for affiliates to earn money on product sales without creating products of their own.
Simply put, affiliate marketing involves referring to a product or service by sharing it on a blog, social media platforms, or website. The affiliate earns a commission each time someone purchases through the unique link associated with their recommendation. Done well, this performance-based opportunity can become an important part of your business by netting you a healthy income.
How Affiliate Marketing works
If you are new to affiliate marketing, let’s cover how it works. To do affiliate marketing, you need a merchant or a company that offers affiliate marketing opportunities or an affiliate marketing program. Just visit the website of the business and look for a link that says Affiliates, Associates or Make Money.
If it appeals to you, sign up and wait for confirmation of your acceptance. Then, start creating content, adding the custom links the program provides. Those links track when one of your users makes a purchase, and you’ll earn a small commission.
You can work with individual companies or affiliate networks, where you register and choose the programs that interest you. The programs are generally divided into categories to make selection easier. Once approved, start promoting your affiliate links on your website, in newsletters, on social media, and anywhere else you’re permitted to share links.
The network sends you a payment when you’ve reached the minimum payment level. Payment methods vary and usually include PayPal, bank transfers, and checks.
Affiliate marketing can be used in three ways to make money:
1) Pay per Click or Cost-per-Click affiliate programs: A set amount of money is put in the affiliate's account every time a potential consumer leaves the affiliate website by "clicking" on the link leading to the merchant's website. Depending on the goods and commission amount, this sum could be pennies or dollars.
2) Pay-per-lead or cost-per-lead affiliate programs: The merchant pays the affiliate a specific charge for each visitor who clicks through and completes an action on the merchant's site, such as filling out an online survey, registering, or opting in to receive e-mail.
3) Pay-per-sale or cost-per-sale affiliate programs: A percentage, or commission, is transferred into the affiliate's account every time a sale is made as a result of advertising on the affiliate's website.
Then seek out products in your niche and consider the main 3 routes you can take:
- Amazon Associates - To reach a wide range of products on the plus side but low commissions and cookie periods.
- Affiliate networks - These networks allow you to connect with lots of products, vendors, etc under one account. This helps you hit the payment threshold more easily and often offers much higher commissions and longer cookie periods than Amazon.
- Direct affiliate programs - Seeking out the websites of brands you want to partner with and Ctrl or Command + F to find the word “affiliates” or “referral” in their footer. Then sign up directly or find the affiliate network they use.
- Use Google, Product name + Affiliate programs to find list articles and sites that contain the terms you are searching for to bypass the hard work.
Where can I promote affiliate products easily?
You can promote affiliate products easily through many effective marketing methods which are via social media, fans page, personal blogs, websites, email, etc, and among the most prominent of these methods is media buying.